Product demo: Karen Potash, Collection Development Specialist, did a brief overview of the product using the Boston Public Library Digital Media site.
- audio books
All can be downloaded for free with a library card
Downloadable Digital Media Guided Tour provides a good overview for the patron.
Karen pointed out various search options.
Streaming audio allows borrower to preview part of a book or movie before borrowing.
Transferring to MP3 player is easy.
- highlight title
- click transfer
1. contact library
2. forward to OverDrive email@example.com
What's new at OverDrive? Lisa Coreno, Partner Services Associate
- Top audiobook titles constantly added to the collection
- Download Standing Order Plan - allows patrons to add popular titles automatically
- Holds Manager - allows library to determine how to manage holds
- Community Reserve - all library partners upload local content to share with other OverDrive partners
The biggest news of the session:
- iPod and other Apple product compatibility available by end of summer
- Also offering OverDrive Media Console for Mac
- Initial collection will be about 3000 titles. New titles constantly added
Nationwide tour to promote libraries' digital collections: digitalbookmobile.com
Digipalooza '08 in Cleveland, OH in July: Conference for OverDrive partners. Sign up at digipalooza.com
Best Practices for Libraries
- keep it fresh
- Keep it varied
- Stay informed
Building your virtual library
- Shop Now
- Diverse collection
- Multiple formats
Library staff training
- attend OverDrive training
- customized (free) training
- online courses
- train new employees as part of new staff orientation
- listen to a recorded session
- request recorded training
- watch the Guided Tour
Promote in the Library
- customized marketing materials - bookmarks, business cards, brochures
- website and catalog
Participants offered suggestions for improving the interface, searching and sorting options.
Participants were urged to let publishers know that you want them to make their titles available on OverDrive.
Posted by Kathy Lowe